Welcome, Guest Log In | Register

You are here: HomeForum Home → Equipment FAQs → Constant Light → Thread

Video Studio Questions

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-08-20

PM

I am in the early stages of setting up a more permanent lighting setup at my current job’s studio area.

The area is a large, carpeted conference room. Around 1/3 is devoted to to video production.

It’s an education company, and the main layout is a large, wall-mounted, magnetic whiteboard in the center of the room. Ideally we would like to make this mobile for more lighting options, etc.

For lighting we have 3x StarLights with Medium softboxes. We are looking into adding a Constellation 3 as the key light with larger soft box.

Typically one light is the to left as a backlight, one light is to the right as a fill light, and one light is up as high as it can go as the key. It’s high up to reduce the shadows of the objects on the whiteboard.

We film educational training videos with this setup, as well as live-streaming sessions, and would like to remove as much clutter as we can from the floor.

Our video equipment:
Panasonic HMC150
Canon EOS cameras (T3i, 60D, 7D)
Canon GL-2 (for streaming at the moment)

Questions:

1. I’m looking for recommendations for mounting the Photoflex lights (StarLight and Constellation 3). It’s a drop ceiling, so we are currently testing some scissor clamps. We are also looking into trussing options.

2. Whiteboard Lighting. Has anyone had any experience lighting a whiteboard? It’s hard to light a whiteboard without shadows from the objects on the board and hot spots from the light. Any ideas?

Note: I will post accurate dimensions of the room soon. But I’m thinking it’s around 15-20’ high, and plenty of horizontal space.

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-04-09

PM

Hello ADemme,

Thanks for your questions on improving your shooting space. 

1. Currently, Photoflex doesn’t manufacture any ceiling-mounted track or truss systems for studio lighting, but there are many options available. which you can find online.  If you decide to go with scissor clamps, make sure they’re fairly heavy duty.  You’ll also need to reinforce the drop ceiling track with heavy duty cables, as the Constellation head and accessories will add significant weight to such a support.  It sounds like the height of the room is not a limiting factor, so you might also look into a simple truss system onto which you could mount your lights. 

2. Lighting a whiteboard is similar to lighting a pane of glass or mirror.  You need to place your lights as far to the side of the face of the board as possible to eliminate reflections from your lights.  Ideally, you’d have two lights on either side of the whiteboard (either side-to-side or top-to-bottom), each with narrow diffused light modifiers attached.  Photoflex makes the Medium HalfDome (silver-lined) that would work well here.  You’d want the face of each HalfDome to be perpendicular to the face of the whiteboard and aimed at each other.  You’ll still get shadows on the board if you’re filming someone writing on it, but they’ll be fairly minimal, since one light will fill in the shadows of the other.

Alternatively, you could replace the whiteboard with a sheet of white Plexiglas (or some other semi-transparent material) and light it mainly from behind.  That would eliminate all shadows from the person drawing on the board.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.  Good luck!